New Vegas crashing on startup
Around a week ago I started up New Vegas on my second screen, which is a TV hooked by HDMI. I would press play on the launcher and after a few seconds the game dropped to the desktop. I clicked back on the Icon on my task bar and once again it dropped back to desktop. This occurred every time I tried. The game would work just fine on my laptop screen, however. I uninstalled all my mods and attempted to startup again. This time I got an error message saying something was missing and I needed to reinstall. I deleted all content in the New Vegas folder and reinstalled. I turned my mods back on and started the game, not on my second screen but on my main screen. This time the game crashed as soon as it started. Didn't even make it to the disclaimer screen. I uninstalled the mods and tried again. The game continued this trend, crashing immediately on startup every time. I reinstalled again, turned no mods on and still this continues. I am not using Raptr or any other program that messes with displays (as far as I know) The game has been working up until this point.
I use Windows 8.1
Processor - AMD A8-5550M APU 2.10 GHz
Try the game, on new install, WITHOUT ANY MODS installed. Not just activated, but installed also
- Uninstall (Not Delete) New Vegas. Do this true Steam, or through your uninstaller manager
- Remove all mods that you own. This should be in the default directory in which FOMM installs the mods
- Redownload New Vegas via steam (no mods)
- Verify Game Cache, see if it brings up errors. If so, let it run and redo this step when done. If not, proceed
- Try the game, on your main laptop (no secondary display). Set resolution out of game to native resolution
- See if the game works. If it does, then close the game, plug into second display
- Set second display to native resolution
- Play game on second display, see if that works
If it does, then TADA. If not, just comment. Remember, don't install any mods until you can do the steps above.