How to make good impression as a functional tester in front of recruiter/employer

• I would like to know that if I want to represent myself as a good functional tester then in that case what points do I consider telling the recruiter? Because last time I had this interview and i got a feedback that I was very good and enthusiastic but they got a person who was technically more sound!

• I recently hired on with a new company and wondered about this as well. After speaking with my former and current supervisors, I got the following advice and followed it. Know what you're talking about. Assuming the person interviewing you is a Test Manager or experienced tester, they know what they are looking for. They're ears will be open for key words and your ability to explain concepts and definitions. That's not to say that you have to know everything, but you should be able to explain concepts of testing based on your experience. Keep in mind, not all testing jargon and processes are the same across companies In my interviews, I recognized this, and simply stated, "In my experience . . .,". Any experience hiring manager will know that things are different across companies and won't judge your testing skills simply based on the fact that they don't line up with what their company does. Be honest I found this to be an ice breaker as well. If the person asked something about something I wasn't experienced in, I didn't stumble around and try to make up an answer. I said I didn't know. But, if I could, I would add in how I had contributed to something. For example, as a functional tester, you may not have actually written the use case which was used for your test script, but maybe you were involved in the design sessions. You want to show, in as much as you can be honest, that you may not know specifics, but you have a good solid idea on the process. Ask hard questions to the interviewer Asking them questions which may put them on the spot (how do manage tight deadlines? how do you cope with stressful situations? etc.) are uncommon and show you really care about the work and the environment. Don't be afraid to say "let me think about that". Although there will be silence, it lets you calm down and really think about what you do and do not know and formulate a solid answer. This also shows them you're not hasty. That's what helped me. Freshen up on your skills and learn from each interview.

Suggested Topics