Do any Pokémon lose the ability to learn a HM when they evolve?
carriann last edited by
Some Pokémon lose the ability to learn certain moves when they evolve. For example:
- Pichu learns Nasty Plot at level 18, but Pikachu can't learn or re-learn it
- Pichu can be taught Uproar by the Move Tutor, but Pikachu can't
In fourth or fifth generation of Pokémon games (Diamond/Pearl onward), are there any Pokémon who can learn a HM, but lose the ability to learn that HM when they evolve?
Looking through the Bulbapedia learnset entries for each HM move, I have found no instances within each HM set where a Pokemon learn it, but its evolution can not;
- Cut (HM01)
- Diglett/Dugtrio can learn Cut in Yellow, but not in R/B
- Fly (HM02)*
- Surf (HM03)*
- Strength (HM04)
- Flash (HM05 Gen 1-3)
- Defog (HM05 D/P/Pt)
- Whirlpool (HM05 Hg/Ss - HM06 Gen 2)
- Waterfall (HM05 Gen 5 - HM07 Gen 2-4)
- Rock Smash (HM06 Gen 3-4)
- Dive (HM06 Gen 5 - HM08 Gen 3)
- Rock Climb (HM08 Gen 4)
There are a few fringe cases that pop up in earlier generations (Mostly between Red Blue and Yellow) where a Pokemon might learn the HM in one game and then be traded to another where its evolution cannot. There may also be unmentioned cases of this between Gens 1 and 2, however the Time Capsule was fairly restrictive in what could be sent back.
*Pikachu is an interesting side case - As there are event and side-game transfers that can give you a Pikachu with Fly, or even Surf (there's also a surfing Pichu). However in none of these instances can Pikachu be taught the moves from an HM.
- Cut (HM01)