How many weapon fragments do I receive from killing an alien?
I want to maximize the number of weapon fragments I salvage, but sometimes bad dudes just need to be blown up to save my team. If there are differences in the amount of fragments I can salvage from different enemies or different weapon types, I can use that information to determine which enemies to blow to smithereens, and which to kill with normal weapons fire.
For each enemy I kill with normal weapons fire, what determines the amount of weapon fragments I receive at the end of the mission?
- Is it just a set number of fragments per weapon?
- Does it change depending on the enemy type or their weapon type?
- Do robotic aliens with built-in weapons still provide weapon fragments, or do I only get them from enemies with hand-held weapons?
Each weapon gives 2 weapon fragments. Here are some rules regarding what will drop weapon fragments (WF):
- An alien killed by rifles, pistol fire, psi attacks, or melee weapons will always give WF.
- An alien killed by grenades, rockets, exploding cars, or exploding mechanical aliens will not give WF.
- Some enemies (such as Mutons, Heavy Floaters, and Cyberdiscs) carry grenades which are also worth an additional 2 WF, if they are killed before they use them.
- If an alien is killed while mind controlled or captured, its weapons will not become WF, but instead will be delivered home whole.
- Chryssalids, Ethereals, and Zombies don't carry weapons, so they won't give WF no matter how they're killed.
- Machines (Cyberdiscs, Drones and Sectopods) give 2 WF when killed, unless killed by explosives.
So, for example:
- A Cyberdisc or Muton will drop 4 WF if they have not used their grenade, or 2 WF if they have.
- A Drone or a Thin Man will drop 2 WF.