Reduce Minecraft server lag

• I recently decided to set up a Minecraft server on an old PowerEdge 1850 I had lying around. I'd like to start expanding and getting more players on, but I've been having massive lag issues when the server's been running for a day or so. There's usually only about 4 or 5 people logged in, and while the map is fairly large (~650 MB), people don't wander much. However, after sometimes just a few hours, redstone grinds to a halt and water/lava hang in midair. Restarting the server process fixes all the lag issues. When the server starts lagging, it's still well under its allowed memory usage, and CPU usage is fairly normal. Clearing entities doesn't seem to help. I've tried both CraftBukkit and CraftBukkit++, both with similar results. Here's the stats I've got:

• 2 x Xeon @ 3.20GHz
    • 10 GB RAM (PC2-3200R 400MHz) (8 going to Minecraft)
    • 2 x 300GB 10k RPM U320 SCSI drives (hardware RAID 1)
    • Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_07-b10)
    • Linux 3.2.0-29-generic x86_64
    • Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
    • CraftBukkit version git-Bukkit-1.3.2-b286jnks (MC: 1.3.2)

Does anyone know what could be causing all this lag, and how I could fix the problem without restarting the server every few hours?

• If you're using Java 7, it has been known to cause issues running Minecraft. I would download java 6, and give that a try.

Also, if your server supports 64-bit, grab that version.

Update:

The only other advice I can offer is to maybe grab a server auto-restart plugin for bukkit, perhaps give one of those a go, and set it to 6am or whenever your server is least busy. Not an exact solution, but perhaps a livable workaround?

You can get ones that give logged on players warnings when the server will restart as well.

One I've used in the past is Simple Restart. It allows you to set up intervals for restarting & warn players at specific times.

I hope this helps

Suggested Topics