Is it recommended to document how selenium automation tests are laid out?

• The automation code I'm working with was written by several people before me. It's messy, complex, etc. There are barely any comments within the code. It takes me an extremely long time to figure out what each class does.

Is it recommended to have some sort of documentation, so the next engineer can read it, and know exactly what each class etc does.

Is this common or would it be consider pointless? I can't seem to find an example of some sort of automation test documentation/maintenance structure.

Can anyone provide some sort of input?

• According to me test automation is in itself a project - test automation as far as I believe is writing a program that will be used to test another program.

So how about you consult the other stakeholders or say the developers in your company.

If there is a project where developers have changed over time, discuss it with them about their experience of the ease of understanding the code with or without documentation.

Talk to the leads and management about how they do documentation for their code and how do they help the new programmers understand the code of existing projects.

Learn their methods and see if it suit you and also see if those documentation practices can be improved to make life easy!

Happy testing 🙂

Suggested Topics