Starcraft 2 : getting gold on Psionic Assault
I'm having a hard time reaching gold in the Psionic Assault challenge in Starcraft 2. I managed to get silver using combinations of force fields and psionic storms, but it seems that leaves me with too little energy left for the last waves. I usually end up being gg'ed right after hitting the silver mark.
I tried morphing one or two Archons after some of my templars exhausted their energy, but that only helped surviving for maybe a couple of waves. What's worse, the waves come too fast for the archons to regenerate their shields, and they're no longer capable of storming after that so I guess this is really only useful for making a last stand.
I feel I must be under-using the sentries, but every attempt I've made at using hallucinations or guardian shields only seemed to eat their energy faster without helping that much in destroying the aggressors. And without shielding they die just too fast if I send them in battle.
Am I missing something, or is it just a matter of getting a better mileage out of force fields and storms ?
I managed to get a perfect score (300) on this. Here's how:
- Use sentries as attackers. With 11 of them, your DPS is high enough, but if they start dying, you're screwed. You don't have to lose one single unit.
- If you feel like storming a big blob, try killing them with sentries first. Storm should not be used against every wave. You can skip storm completely for the first 5-10 waves or so.
- Keep sentries in 2 separate control groups in order to deal with flanks.
- Save right after and before every wave.
- Vary your casters. Try to minimize the number of units sitting at 200 energy. Always use the unit with the highest energy for casting.
- Templar energy is worth much more than sentry energy.
- Don't morph any Archons. You don't need a single one. Storm is much more useful.
- Guardian shield is useless.
And for some specific waves:
- When you face big numbers of reapers, wait for them to jump up the cliff, then forcefield around them and storm. They will jump down and back up, because the AI is stupid.
- Use fake Archons to tank the Ultralisk. (The Archon is generally the best hallucination.)
- Big units with energy should be feedbacked. Ghosts can be stormed, but I recommend feedback for the first wave.
- The Collosus is the hardest wave. Use one or two hallucinated Collosi for this one.
- Use fake Void Rays against the Battlecruiser.