Comparing the term "Build Verification Testing" with "System Testing"

• I have a question about the term "Build Verification Testing". In the context of QA, when we run test automation, we aren't "building" anything. We are compiling and running tests against a module, component, or system. The system, module, or component we are testing is previously "built" by developers before the testers ever get to it.

So, my question is, why do testers use the term "Build Verification Testing" when referring to test automation when the term "System Verification Testing", or "System Verification and Validation Testing", seems more correct to me? I am suspecting that the word "build" is an artifact of white box testing QA terminology before test automation was popular? In the old days, unit testing would be followed by Integration testing and then a BVT (build verification test), previous to the web application revolution.

• If we take a look at the definition of BVT we can't find the statement that BVT belongs to white box testing approach. Just "a short set of tests, which exercises the mainstream functionality of the application software". And for system testing -- "testing conducted on a complete, integrated system to evaluate the system's compliance with its specified requirements".

I think, here we are mixing levels and types of testing: system testing is a sort of level (like unit and integration testing) and BVT is a sort of test type (like regression or confirmation testing).

Suggested Topics