What should each role be doing during a team fight?
I can pretty much get by laning phase without any problems, but during team fights I can hardly be useful. I mainly have two issues, first one being that usually team fights are so clumped up and crowded that I end up blowing abilities on tanks etc, my second issue is actually related to team-fight knowledge what exactly do specific roles be doing in team fights. I understand that carries should be focusing other carries and tanks should be protecting their carries, but what about other roles?
For the first part of the question, you should just practice and over time, your reflexes will improve and you'll be able to target the carries. For the second part, in my opinion,
- Tanks (e.g. Nautilus) go in first and, well, tank most of the damage
- Carries (e.g. Caitlyn) stay back and deal as much damage as they can
- Off-tanks (e.g. Udyr) go in and deal damage while still taking some of it
- Supports heal/shield (e.g. sona or janna) or disrupt the enemy team(e.g. alistar)
- Anti-carries (e.g. olaf) go into the middle/back of the fight and take out the carries as much as they can.
I think this covers all of the main roles.