Which version of Selenium should I learn?

• I am a manual tester and I want to learn test automation. I have basic knowledge of core Java and I would start to learn Selenium. Should I start to learn Selenium IDE, Selenium1/RC or Web driver. Also, any websites/apps on which I can practice test automation?

• That partially depends on what you want to automate. From the front page of SeleniumHQ (my highlighting): If you want to create quick bug reproduction scripts create scripts to aid in automation-aided exploratory testing Then you want to use Selenium IDE; a Firefox add-on that will do simple record-and-playback of interactions with the browser. Conversely, If you want to create robust, browser-based regression automation scale and distribute scripts across many environments Then you want to use Selenium WebDriver; a collection of language specific bindings to drive a browser -- the way it is meant to be driven. RC is deprecated: Selenium WebDriver is the successor of Selenium Remote Control which has been officially deprecated. Selenium Server is for more complex cases: The Selenium Server (used by both WebDriver and Remote Control) now also includes built-in grid capabilities. Personally, after using both IDE and WebDriver: IDE is a relatively simple Firefox extension in which you can probably write useful tests within minutes of installing it. IDE isn't perfect; the issues may have been fixed in the meantime, but when I last used it (2013) it would sometimes not record my session, or would use 100% CPU until I killed it. WebDriver gives you the strength and complexity of a programming language: You can very easily reuse boilerplate code to get the system into a known state. You can implement unsupported operations in an OK language (Java) rather than an often critiqued one (JavaScript).

Suggested Topics