Trying to simulate users logging in but staying idle

• I'm trying to simulate the scenarios where 1000+ users log in at once, and stay logged in for a set amount of time. While those 1000+ users are still logged into the server, another set logs in as well.

Essentially a failover test? Trying to see how much the server can hold before it just dies.

Will the Ultimate Thread Group in jmeter help me achieve this? I read the documentation, and I'm a bit confused with the "Hold load" part. To me, it means that the http request will last for the set amount of time (which is what I need - to simulate users staying idle). Is this correct?

• Typically on a Web application an idle user will consume almost no server resources. The constraint will be the amount of memory or database space used to store the users session. If the server can therefore support 2000 users you shouldn't have any problem.

That said a more real concern should be the impact on performance of the server due to the extra load and in particular how the 'login storm' is handled as this can consume significant resources causing timeouts on connecting and spikes in load. Sometimes it pays to have a random back off built in to spread this load.

To test this realistically your existing users should be active and responses timed In order to determine impact of fail over event. On the other hand if it's a truly rare event depending on the nature of your application you may only worry that it all comes back up in the end...

Suggested Topics