Where in the process is Exploratory Testing executed?

• We are an agile software development boutique. We use Kanban to keep our project running. We do Test Driven development, so don't have a separate testing phase. But we do some manual testing called Exploratory testing. So I wanted to know if other teams follow the same or they have a specific time and phase for exploratory testing?

• Without talking to you directly I don't know what exactly what you mean when you say "exploratory testing". When I say exploratory testing I mean: an approach to software testing that can be described as simultaneous learning, test design and test execution. Exploratory testing is contrasted with scripted testing but they are both part of the same spectrum. (The community of testers I belong to also follow a definition very similar to this.) Also I like this diagram by James Bach. It helps visualize the exploratory vs. scripted testing spectrum a little bit: So to answer your question, as long as you learn throughout the project and constantly create new tests that are more powerful than the old ones, then you are doing exploratory testing and it doesn't matter what specific time or phase you commit to it. It's possible to do exploratory testing in any phase, even while writing tests for TDD. What matters is that you are providing value with your testing.

Suggested Topics