What to call a matrix with all possible combinations?

• For example: The application show a list of results. Now we have a new feature: The list can be filtered. The user can use a search input field and a date range to filter the results. To cover all possible combinations with test cases, I create a matrix. For this simple example, they look like this:

Matrix

I feel confident that this type of matrix has a specific name. How is the name? Test Case Combination Matrix?

Thank you!

After getting the keywords, I found a nice and large article by Michael Bolton about Pairwise Testing. http://www.developsense.com/pairwiseTesting.html

• I think it is called a "Combinatorial test matrix" .

With more combinations the matrix could become infinitely large, have a look at Pairwise Testing to simplify this, but still have a high coverage with combinations.

Pairwise (a.k.a. all-pairs) testing is an effective test case generation technique that is based on the observation that most faults are caused by interactions of at most two factors. Pairwise-generated test suites cover all combinations of two therefore are much smaller than exhaustive ones yet still very effective in finding defects.

Also there is a list of software tools to assist you with generating the pairwise matrix.

Currently we are playing with the free version of CTE-XL , which looks pretty good.

I am interested in experience with other Pairwise testing tools.

Suggested Topics