What should I have to start a career in software testing?

• I am a postgraduate student and want to become a software tester after graduation. I have no work experience, but when I read some stuff about the traits a software tester should have I can relate to most of them. But I am wondering like what technical skills I should have to start a career in s/w testing, something that adds value to my CV. Could you please give me some tips for starters (or anything you feel that will be helpful). Looking forward for your comments. Thank you.

• Even though most companies will look after people with experience in the field, you dont need to worry yourself about that because there are a lot of entry-level available as well. My advice would be to not limit yourself to what books say, this thing mostly revolves around poking a bee hive with either a stick, or a flamethrower, depending on the needs. Also, being a tester wont always imply testing stuff, most of the time youll probably end up dealing with tons of documentation that you have to get familiar with so that you can start building your test framework accordingly. Good part is that it can be very rewarding at times. For example youll start a new project that might scare you with the fact that you wont know little or nothing about the tools/environment etc, but once you get past that and look back, youll be amazed by what you accomplished. So yes, sorry about the mini blog post but I could go on for pages. If you have any questions I`d be more than happy to help you along. Thanks, Andrei

Suggested Topics