What does QA support for production push/release

• What does the QA support need to do during the production push or release? Is that just monitor the pushing progress and run smoke test after that? What if something went wrong? Are the developers going to fix it? Or roll back to older version? Any answer will be appreciate. If you happened to have any experience working in production as QA or developer please share some knowledge you have. Thank you.

• I worked for four years on a small team that didn't have a specific team structure. Generally, we would push production releases for an enterprise Java application on a 3 - 6 month cycle. The team consisted of about 4 developers with me as the only tester. My primary job was to bring the team in for a soft landing. That required a lot of planning and preparation on my part, including thorough testing of the overall application before entering the "release week", making sure any test automation was up to date and operational, and negotiating bug and issue fixes during weekly team meetings. As fixes were implemented and builds were produced, I would install the builds on various VM servers to test new installs, migration installs from older versions, secure server installations, network component interactions (such as user management systems), and on performance servers containing large data populations to test whether reporting capabilities were impacted. The last day or two would always get intense where I would sometimes get builds every few hours to test. Working with the developers to verify the potential impact of fixes on the last few days was always an important job. Hope that helps!

Suggested Topics