Changing my career field to QA

• I have a BA degree in Biochemistry. I worked at a research lab for 5 yrs before I quit my job to be a stay at home. Now I want to change my career and get into the field of QA. I don't have much knowledge as to what the best way is to get into this field. I cant afford to take online courses, so I want to self teach it to me. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

• I'd suggest you start with the software quality blogs and forums around the Internet. Some of the online portals I like are:

If there are any tester meetups or testing weekends in your area, look at going to them - I'm quite sure you could find someone willing to mentor you and help get you started.

If you want to look into the automation side, I'd suggest working through tutorials for one of the free tools (Selenium has a large user community - the IDE is rather old and won't be supported for too much longer, but it's a quick way to get a feel for how Selenium works).

If you're not comfortable with programming, automation may not be for you, but in my view that isn't a major issue because there's always a need for manual testing.

You could also take a look at some of these related questions:

This should give you somewhere to start.

Suggested Topics