Should I do performance testing of my web application having two instances behind a load balancer?

• My organization recently created a Performance testing environment. Our primary goal of performance testing is to catch performance degradation with future releases of our application. In Production, our web applications are deployed behind a load balancer, which is written and maintained by another team. To simulate Production environment, a decision was made to have two instances of each web application deployed in Performance environment, and execute performance tests against load balancer. I feel that it is not an optimal decision, because we do not have control over load balancers, and my idea is to concentrate on testing performance of our application accessed directly via host name. Due to the fact that I lack experience with performance testing, I would like to understand arguments for and against these two different setups, and if I am correct, find necessary arguments to persuade management to change initial decision.

• You need to decide on your goal: If you want to estimate your performance or capacity in production, you will want your test environment to mimic your production environment as much as possible. If your goal is to detect performance problems in your web application, you can probably get away with testing against a single instance. You won't necessarily be able to quantify how much performance degradation you will see in production, but that might be ok.

Suggested Topics