Typical localization of bugs

• We are now adding support for German, Spanish, French, Italian to our application. We've translated all strings and added a big margin for them in the UI. Now I am wondering what kind of bugs to expect besides the obvious translation, text and clipping bugs.

From what I've read, sorting strings, displaying dates, floating number formats all depend on the locale. I assume there are other things as well.

Which bugs should I expect and test for?

• Some of the things I've run into:

• Currency formats are locale dependent.
    • You can also have issues with different locale-based keyboards. I've seen issues where a problem only occurs when the language and the keyboard are configured for a specific locale (this was Turkish language and Turkish keyboard).
    • For German, you'll want to watch your line breaks - German tends to concatenate words so you get very long words that can completely mangle the overall layout.
    • If your application uses a database, you want to make sure the database collation doesn't do anything horrible to the non-ASCII characters the language uses.
    • You also need to make sure that you specify the Unicode format you're working with if there are any exports/imports involved.
    • This isn't as likely with French, German, Spanish, or Italian, but check that there's nowhere in the application that renders the strings as images (I ran into this with Japanese). Image renders for ASCII characters are generally smaller than those outside the ASCII character set, which can cause unusual errors.

Suggested Topics