Should I learn Python or Java to get into test automation? I am new to programming

• Should I learn Python or Java to get into test automation?

I'm new to programming. Please share your thoughts or links to any useful information.

• Since you are looking into Selenium (as a test framework) start with Java, because Googling on "Selenium/Webdriver issue description" will often result in Java examples that you can re-use. There is just more people doing Selenium with Java then Python. Also Selenium it-self is mainly written in Java.

For a project I would learn the language the application (under test) is written in. As a tester your are often not a hardcore programmer, thus if you need assistance with the test automation its ideal if the team can help you in a language they use on a daily basis and have the most experience with. This will also increase the adoption and extension of your tests by the developers, they will have to maintain/extend the tests in the end probably.

If your learning preference is from books I suggest "Thinking in Java" each chapter has great programming challenges to make sure you understand and can apply the theory. Also it explains everything in great detail.

Update: Also Java looks a lot C++ and thus also C#. If you look at the most popular languages the C derivatives are most popular. Learning Java will make it easier to switch to other languages.

Suggested Topics