What are the advantages and disadvantages of QC and TFS?

• My department is currently looking at a Quality Assurance test manager. On top of that we currently use Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server (TFS) on the development side of the house. We're looking to implement Quality Center (QC) or TFS as the test manager and potentially across the department as our Application Lifecycle Management (ALM). My questions: What are your recommendations and why? What are the advantages and disadvantages of QC and TFS? Does Quick Test Pro or Selenium integrate with TFS and/or QC?

• If the "development side of the house" is already using TFS, then you would be crazy to consider HPQC. Both HPQC and TFS use per seat licensing, and you will have to pay double. TFS is a true ALM solution that includes source control, developer work item tracking, build support and everything that the developers need to do their jobs, and in the later versions added testing in their Microsoft Test Manager (MTM) products. Personally I preferred to "roll my own" testing solutions with TFS instead of using MTM as it suits how I managed my teams better, but I haven't used the latest versions so I can't comment on that. I doubt you will actually be able to successfully implement HPQC, as the developers won't support you as it will mean that they can't use the tools that they already have invested in and already use for requirements, work item and defect tracking. TFS has great API support (and HPQC is pretty good), so as long as you are prepared to roll up your sleeves and write code, you will be able to make them integrate.

Suggested Topics