Testing training required for people switching from development to testing

• I have total 10 years of experience in testing. I am switching to Corporate Training now. I have been told to teach manual testing to a batch of developers who want to switch to Testing. I have not got opportunity to interact with these people till now. Need your advice/inputs regarding.

1. What topics need enforcement?
    2. What will be specific needs of these people?
    3. Which technical/soft skills developers normally have will help them to switch to testing?
    4. Which technical/soft skills developers normally have need tweaking to switch to testing?

• I have to disagree with SayushiAndo about the ISTQB material - that would not give "solid testing knowledge" in my opinion. Nor would knowing the difference between validation and verification - these are basic items which there's a good chance your developers already know if not by those terms.

My suggestion would be to start with the difference between tester-mindset and developer-mindset. The two are mutually incompatible, but someone can switch between them. It's just not possible to be both at the same time (since the focus of developer-mindset is building where the focus of tester mindset is somewhere between exploring and breaking. If you focus on breaking while trying to build, you'll never get anywhere.

The next thing I'd suggest is looking at the bug report from the other side: as developers, they know what they like to see in a bug report - so as testers they're going to be looking for ways to get that information into their reports.

The other main thing I'd suggest is encouraging them to think sideways - look at different ways of doing things, equivalence sets and so forth.

Suggested Topics