How to test the field with different languages?
I have a few pages where we allow the people to enter other language characters like german, dutch, spanish etc....
I want to test the field by using words of different languages to make sure all the characters are saved in its own format. I used the german word (Geschäftsreise). After saving, the letter (ä) is displaying as �
How to test these fields?
Thanks in advance
You're already doing it! The core principle here, which you're already following, is:
- Prepare some data
- Enter it into the input field
- Check whether it is displayed correctly in the output.
To make your testing more sophisticated and thorough, consider the possible variations at each stage:
- Basic numbers and letters
- Basic punctuation
- Non-ascii letters e.g. the ä used in German.
- Non-ascii punctuation e.g. the em-dash — , the en-dash – , the ellipsis …
- Types of whitespace: Spaces, non-breaking spaces, tabs, line-breaks
- Short data, long data
2. Data entry:
- Typing the text directly into the input field
- Pasting in the text.
- Pasting from a plain-text source e.g. notepad
- Pasting from rich-text sources e.g. Word
- The input field, after saving the data
- A plain-text display of the data
- A report including the data
- A feed to another application
There are lots of subtle ways that programs can fail to preserve or convert the input data, so this approach is often a productive source of bugs.