What roles and activities can automators do apart from writing code?

• This might seems to be common question but my concern here is a bit different. I am new to Automation and my development skills are not that Good. We are trying to Automate our Project using Selenium UI.

My concern is that being a QA guy, apart from writing the code for Automation what roles I can perform to make sure things go smoothly to the end.

I want to contribute something better from QA perspective rather than trying to resolve exceptions and experimenting with the code all the time. Any help would be appreciated.

• Not everyone on the team needs the same skills, and if you already have enough development capacity you might be more valuable for the overall results if you take up other tasks. When working together with testers in an automation project, developers can focus on the development part if there is someone else who:

• Really understands the application and the test scripts
    • Can prioritize which parts need to be automated first
    • Can give examples of test cases with various characteristics (such as a small and simple one; cases that do/don't need elaborate test data; certain features)
    • Understands the business case of the automation project (what are we trying to achieve, how are we going to measure that)
    • Helps in finding a convenient and user friendly way to specify test data and test scripts
    • Knows what he needs in terms of logging / reports / metrics; and provides feedback on what we can do better
    • Tests the test framework and helps resolve issues smoothly and quickly
    • Writes a manual; or takes notes on tips/trics/frequently asked questions
    • Teaches other people how to work with automated testing
    • Obtains support for the project from management
    • Manages the process and the team
    • Takes care of environment issues (authorizations, installed software, etc.)

Test automation is not just coding (even though it is an important skill to learn if you work in an automation project) and it is a team effort. Personally, I think having at least one person on the team who doesn't do coding can actually bring a different perspective to the team and can give better results than just a bunch of developers together.

Suggested Topics