What are the main goals of "Automated Testing"?

• Do you agree with the following 3 sentences about Automated Testing ? Increases the agility of development Increases software quality Does not reduce global duration of testing (including planning, script writing, script maintenance...)

• In a word, "No". Some more detail: •Increases the agility of development I've never seen this as either a goal or an outcome of automated testing. Typically, automated testing is used for regression - to provide some level of assurance that previously working software has not been broken by new changes. This has no impact on the agility of development, regardless of whether the automation is in the form of unit tests or GUI end-to-end automation. •Increases software quality Testing can never increase software quality. The quality comes from the design, the coding of that design, and how well both design and code work to solve the problem the software is intended to solve (be it "entertain a gamer for fifty hours" or "automate grocery store purchasing"). At most, testing provides information about the quality of the software. In my experience, any organization that thinks quality can be "tested in" is headed for an ugly failure. The only questions are "how ugly?" and "when?" (a prime example here is the healthcare.gov disaster in the USA - that site has numerous examples of basic failures in development and testing quality - in every job I've had if I'd missed even one of these it would be a firing offence for me as the tester and whoever coded it) •Does not reduce global duration of testing (including planning, script writing, script maintenance...) I honestly don't see how the overall duration of testing is relevant to automated testing at all. Well designed automated testing can reduce the amount of testing time spent on tedious, repetitive testing - which a computer can do more accurately than a human - allowing more time to be devoted to exploratory testing - which has a much higher likelihood of finding problems.

Suggested Topics