What are the testing skills needed to test a stable system?

• I have been testing a application in agile methodology where requirements change frequently. So, now the application has become stable.So , what are the extra skills to test a stable system?

• In my opinion, there aren't any extra skills need to test a stable system. What tends to happen once the system is stable and not under continuous development is that the proportion of time spent on exploratory testing drops compared to the proportion of time spent on regression and checking. I'm assuming here that by "stable" you mean that the requirements are no longer changing, and the application is not being actively developed, although bug fixes and minor feature development may continue. In this scenario, if an automated regression suite hadn't been built to cover the critical functionality of the application (precisely how much gets automated varies depending on the application and its targeted user base), I'd be starting there. The automated regression would supplement unit and integration tests built into the build process. Once a stable regression suite is running on at least a daily basis, I'd be looking at expanding the regression to cover reported bugs, less critical functionality on the basis of how much benefit it offers compared to the time to automate (not every feature of every application can be automated, and many that can be automated aren't worth automating - which is its own question). I'd also be looking at the edges of the application, particularly where it interacts with other systems (defined input/outputs - you don't want to be trying to automate third party commercial applications if you can avoid it) and ways to streamline and improve the automated regression. Finally, always allocate time to maintain the automated regression. This is the one thing that isn't optional. If you don't have maintenance time built into your scheduling it will bite you, usually when you can least afford it.

Suggested Topics