Dealing with Failures after testing?

• How do you mentally deal with this? For example im testing on a "Virtual" Environment of the customers set up....but a lot of things are simulated either due to not having the equipment etc...

When small issues come back I beat myself up over it.

How do I get past the fact that im never going to be able to find everything?

• There are a few things I try to remember about finding bugs in production:

• Quality isn't binary. If you measure your performance by whether there are bugs, you will always fail. Instead, I consider whether the quality is improving.

• Failure is a learning opportunity. When a bug makes it into production, I ask myself what I could have done differently. Sometimes the answer is a new test case, or a different way to test. Sometimes I might even conclude it would not have been worth the effort for me to find the bug.

• Quality is a shared responsibility. You did not say whether you are a one man shop, but if you are not, other members of your team are responsible for quality too. Sometimes the right way to deal with certain kinds of bugs is for the developer to spend more time testing.

• Beating yourself up does not improve quality. This is hard to remember, but punishing yourself does not help you find bugs.

• It's just software. We all want to do a good job. At the same time, there is more to life than the contents of the bug queue. The other parts of your life are important too.

Suggested Topics