How can I test a user story? Examples please?

• I'm a new QA tester in a company in an Agile environment. During the sprint commit I was told that one of my tasks was going to be testing user stories. How exactly do you test something like that? If anyone can give me any insight into this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• As ByteBuster indicated, user stories are a very high level description of a goal an actor or customer wants to achieve with the product, but doesn't detail exactly how that goal is going to be achieved.

Developers often break user stories down into discrete development focused tasks that are necessary to achieve that goal. Developers should also be writing unit tests against those tasks.

A tester's goal in testing user stories is to put yourself in the shoes of the actor or person and think of the different ways (tests) that persona might achieve the objective of the user story. Also, think of things that might go wrong along the way, or other actions or flows that might block the objective of the user story from being achieved.

Remember, developers often look at software in task or functional chunks. While testers also frequently test discrete functional attributes of software, one of the primary roles of the tester is to look at software more holistically and approach testing from the eyes of the customer.

Suggested Topics