Is it necessary to have strong coding skills to perform software testing?

• I do have a query related to automated software testing.We all know that these days many new test automation tools are being launched. Does this tool still require any coding or scripting knowledge to operate these tools? Or even a novice user can give same accuracy as the experienced one with such automation tools? The question is can we completely rely on any tool?

• It isn't necessary to have strong - or any - coding skill to perform software testing or to be a highly skilled tester. No tool will ever replace the ability of a skilled manual tester to observe something that is not quite right in some way and trace the problem.

When it comes to automation, things get interesting. There are numerous tools that claim to eliminate the need for coding, but these do not (in my opinion) scale terribly well and they don't handle complex systems at all well (again, my opinion only). All of them have limits in what they can do and their ability to pass information from one test to another, as well as limits to their ability to recognize parts of the application under test.

The tools that do not claim to eliminate coding require strong coding skills to build robust automation.

In short, coding skills are not needed to test, but they are needed to build good, robust automated regression and to build other automated test utilities.

Suggested Topics