Repeat/common Test steps in multiple test cases - to do or not to?

• I am trying to seek some input on what might be an efficient best practice. I have been told that end-to-end test cases might have certain steps that are being repeated on other test cases. Let's take the example of Login - 2 test cases might have steps where login is step 1. My point being - is it good design to have test cases be very modular or decoupled so that for example login functionality is not being repeated in more than 1 test case? Are there pros or cons to these choices? @Phil Kirkham - The client is Risk Averse and Waterfall and wants detailed test cases but this is an Agile Pilot @Joe Strazzere - This question pertains to manual test scripts - they are done by the same person - but in his defense he wants them detailed to avoid KT if multiple testers were to use it

• ved, welcome to SQA. You should distinguish between testing the login functionality and merely using the login functionality. End-to-end tests are about ensuring that all the pieces fit together when someone uses the software for a specific task/workflow. If an end-to-end test requires logging in, by all means use the login functionality. However, if you have a multiple end-to-end tests, and the conditions that impact the login functionality do not vary from one test to another, it probably does not make sense to test the login functionality in every end-to-end test. If the login functionality is complicated enough, I would recommend constructing a separate (not end-to-end) login functionality test instead.

Suggested Topics