What uniquely identifies my device to my ISP?

• Something like the Hong Kong protests for example. If a protestor wanted to use his personal computer on a network that is monitored, how can he change its properties enough so that it is not traced back?

For example, I would assume the MAC can be used to try to identify the user of the device. If the same MAC address was used on the person's home network, and the network that was being monitored, the user can easily be identified. So using a throw-away external wireless adapter to change the MAC might be a good idea.

The main concern is not about hiding the activity done on the network, but rather hiding the fact that the same device was previously used on another network, to avoid the person using it from being identified. Basically, how can the device be made to look like a completely new or random device with no way to trace it back whatsoever?

• Like the previous answer mentioned, MAC addressees are strictly limited to the layer 2, which means that they will never get routed on Internet out of your personal network. However, if you feel unsafe about the security of your own local network and want to modify the hard-coded properties of your network interface card, it is possible to use MAC spoofing techniques on your operating system. There is also some software tools to do the same thing with a graphical interface.

Suggested Topics