Is Tor Private/Secure?

• I have had Tor for a bit, I do not use it that often. But I am wondering if anyone knows if it is secure. How safe are onion connections?

• There are different tools for different threats.

If you just want that neither your ISP nor any network admin and the flow to be able to read the exchanged data between your client machine and a server, HTTPS is enough.

If you want that neither your ISP nor any network admin (except TOR itself) can be able to know what servers you are connecting to, then TOR (or any VPN) makes sense.

If you want that the server admins cannot identify you even through a legal action involving your ISP (said differently if want you do can be forbidden by law either in your country or in the server country), then TOR is thing - this is just its initial and main goal.

You have just to be aware of the underlying trust question. If you have any good reason to trust more TOR (or any other VPN) that your ISP, then using them makes sense (provided you are in one of the above use cases). Else you have just exchanged one possible spying center for another one...

Suggested Topics