Can I get malware from a .rar file without opening it in Android?

• I was on a group with almost 200k people on it in Telegram. One of these members (probably new, his account is now deleted) sent me (and to other people too) a file named "Customer deposit H.rar", I proceeded immediately to delete it and analyze my Android 9.0 phone with Kasperky Free.

What are the possibilities that I'm infected if I didn't open the file (I didn't analyze the file, I'm assuming this has malware on it)?

In other words, and as the title says, can I get malware from a .rar file without opening it in Android?

I found another question about this but always refers to Windows.

• Unless there's a vulnerability in File Explorer's archive manager, it's harmless. Even if a malware compromises File Explorer, it cannot break out of app-sandbox without another vulnerability. Simply uninstalling the app removes the malware.

To compromise system, an embedded malware needs chain of critical vulnerabilities and even then there's no assurity that the exploit will run because SELinux blocks process execution that violates SELinux policy. You can verify that your system hasn't been tampered with by simply rebooting your device. Tampered image bricks the device on boot because of Android Verified Boot.

Suggested Topics