VeraCrypt analogs that support unsafe shutdown?

• I am completely satisfied with Veracrypt except for one thing. If you open a Veracrypt volume, write something there or deleting. And then you use unsafe shutdown (for example, using the RESET button on PC. Or at the moment when the electricity was turned off in the apartment. Or pulled out the flash drive with volume without unmounting the volume), then, when you mounting it again, you will notice that the changes did not apply. This applies to both changing files, creating new files, deleting files, moving files.

Are there any programs that allow you to simply encrypt a folder, but which do not have this drawback? Or is it possible to configure Veracrypt so that data is not lost during an unsafe shutdown?

Bitlocker does not suit me because it encrypts entire disks. In WinRAR, you can set a password for the archive, but as the number of files in it increases, it will open and change the files / their location longer. The size of the files is also affected. In my case, WinRAR slows down a lot. Just put a password for the system - not an option, I need a password-protected folder that can be transferred.

• is it possible to configure Veracrypt so that data is not lost during an unsafe shutdown?

Yes. You can do this by disabling write caching. Write caching is a common performance optimization that allows the operating system to report to applications that a write has completed even though it's still in memory and hasn't been sent to the drive. The system will eventually synchronize the write cache with the physical storage medium, but if power is lost before that happens, data can be lost.

Turning off write caching can result in a substantial reduction in write performance.

Suggested Topics