My computer was probably infected by a virus from a professor

• I got a mail from my professor this morning with a request.zip file attached and a password in the mail to open it. Since the mail was from my professor and he already did send me zip attachments I didn't think about it and opened it, but it ended being a strange word document. Later he wrote the whole team a mail that he has a virus and that we shouldn't open the attachment. I updated my antivirus software (GDATA-Internet Security) and ran two virus scans but it didn't find anything on my computer. It looks like the following two examples I found on this and another blog. You can find them here (1) and here (2) What should I do now? Is there a way to find the data on my computer?

• In basic I think that word document contained a macro that got executed and probably audited your system for any AV software and then downloaded the real malware. I would suggest to reinstall the whole system if that's possible and check for strange behavior in the network as this malware may try to look around the network to see what else is there. Yes, there is a chance to find all data on your computer and send it to remote server where will be stored and wait for someone to check it. I would recommend getting an secure computer/laptop that was not in the network to prevent any further spreading of the malware and change all passwords that you have stored/used on the infected system.

Suggested Topics