How to donate a computer without jeopardizing personal information?

• I have an old computer that is no longer working and I want to donate it or perhaps throw it in the trash. However, I don't want people to potentially get my banking account data, usernames/passwords I have entered on the computer, software installed, legal or medical documents, internet browser data, etc. I am going to keep the hard drive, should I do something more to the computer before getting rid of it?

• Donate your Laptop without a hard driver or replace it by a new one, there a many forensics tools able to restore the deleted data (password, files, visited URLS...)

Deleted files

A common technique used in computer forensics is the recovery of deleted files. Modern forensic software have their own tools for recovering or carving out deleted data.[11] Most operating systems and file systems do not always erase physical file data, allowing investigators to reconstruct it from the physical disk sectors. File carving involves searching for known file headers within the disk image and reconstructing deleted materials.

Data recovery

Suggested Topics