Questionable email from discord

• I got a gmail from discord saying a new account had been registered and prompting me to click a verification link. Weirdly, I never made that account, and I already had a discord account under my gmail. Of course, I didn't click the verification link. I checked and was luckily able to log into my discord account, and changed the password for good measure. When I examined the email, it seems the message was sent to the wrong person. For the sake of this making sense, I'm johndoe123@gmail.com and the email details say it got sent to john.doe123@gmail.com ... also, I checked and the sender seems to be a legitimate email under the discord.com domain.

What's afoot here? Is it something malicious? Is it just that the gmail account doesn't exist so it got redirected to mine because it was the most similar?

• With Gmail, 'The Dots Don't Matter'. See https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7436150?hl=en.

So, mail sent to john.doe123@gmail.com will be routed to the same mailbox as johndoe123@gmail.com.

As to why this happened in the first place - it could be that someone is trying to pull-off a variation of this scam, to create a Discord account (possibly for fraudulent purposes) under your email address.

Suggested Topics