Browser fingerprint is unique while running a VM of a clean install of Windows 10

• So I used Qemu on Ubuntu 20 to emulate a computer running windows 10. I kept all of Qemu default values. Then, while installing the Windows 10 iso, I kept all the default values once again. Finally, I went on :

https://amiunique.org/fp

And the site tells me my browser fingerprint is unique! In theory, Qemu can emulate hardware, so by using a Windows 10 clean install I should be able produce a fingerprint that is very common. It seems like the website can gather data about elements outside of the scope of the emulation.

How is this possible? How to prevent it?

Also I get a score of 1.43% for fonts used. Is it really that uncommon to only have the default fonts or is there something else at play here?

• Qemu can emulate hardware, so by using a Windows 10 clean install I should be able produce a fingerprint that is very common.

This is a wrong conclusion. Emulate is not Imitate. Emulate just means that it works enough like the device from the perspective of the OS, which usually does not mean specific timings, performance ... . Also qemu can only emulate specific hardware, typically older one. While this is sufficient to run the OS it will not reflect what runs in modern systems - thus adding to the different fingerprint.

How to prevent it?

If you want to blend in with a shared fingerprint you need to run on a typical system, i.e. a system similar to what many others use. A freshly installed system on a virtual machine is far from a typical user environment.

Suggested Topics