What's the ideal senior/medior/junior ratio in a Scrum Development Team?
Given the scenario when you want to prepare yourself for hiring a new team, but without really knowing about the next project.
What's the ideal ratio between senior, medior and junior developers?
Having an ideal figure will help us to calibrate the recruiting process. If we would know that we need something like 1x1x1, then we would look for 2 senior developers, 2 medior developers and 2 juniors.
Can you also suggest alternatives if this doesn't feel the right approach?
Bogopo last edited by
I have seen highly effective teams full of junior developers and disastrous teams full of senior developers.
Rather than focusing on seniority and experience, I recommend:
- Hiring highly collaborative people
- Looking for a good mix of personality types (starters, completer-finishers, etc.)
- Hiring people with good leadership skills - willing to step up and lead discussions and help with facilitation
- Hiring people that value continuous improvement
- Hiring people with humility, that don't feel they know everything and are hungry to learn