Multiple boards vs Single board with tags

• In our org we have two groups of people working on different components on a common platform (shared API, separate front-end apps) and have grown the process to the point where tracking working across the development team, architecture and data groups are important.

In our standard workflow, we'd simply create new Azure DevOps boards for each team of people (dev team 1, dev team 2, architecture, data, etc) but I'm wondering if that's really the best path since there are dependencies and overlap between those different groups. Right now we're running in a 2 week sprint cycle but do plan to move to kanban a few months down the road and I'm considering creating one board for all teams and manage groupings of people teams using tags. This seems as if it'd provide excellent flexibility for team changes (going from 2 to 3 devs or combining) while potentially sacrificing some built-in reporting in terms of story point throughput and such.

So I wanted to ask the community: would you recommend proceeding with multiple boards for each group and have potentially multiple stories across those boards but then how do we tie those to one epic/feature for planning? Or do we go the route of all in one board which simplifies planning roadmap with epics/features but could become unwieldy?

• Unfortunately, there is no "right" answer to this question. However, there is a good way to find out the right answer for you. Especially in Kanban, the purpose of the board is to visualize your workflow. Consider a few questions:

• Do both teams have the same workflow?
    • Does the workflow of value delivery mix between teams?
    • Do you get better visibility into how value is created by looking at the work together or separately?

Additionally, it is common that people try to find the perfect way to set up a board and lock that down. This is not possible. Your processes will change and improve and your board will need to change with them. Don't be afraid to try something and then change it. If the questions above don't lead you to a clear answer, try both ways and see what works best. You may find that it is a mix of the two even.

Suggested Topics