User Story for Specific Backend Services

• How do you create a user story for tasks like implementing hashing Sha256 on passwords or modify column in a table? Let us consider the

As a ________, I want to be able to _________, so that ________

template. I find it hard to choose a WHO for it especially in user stories like these?

Thank you!

• welcome!

The examples you give are "how" rather than "what". User stories are explicitly about the "what" and the "why" without specifying the "how".

So:

Why do you want to "modify column in table"?

As a user, I want the Username field to have more length so I can enter my entire long hyphenated name in it.

As a sysadmin, I want to make the Foo column an indexed field so I can easily perform searches.

You see? Either of these user stories could be implemented by modifying a column in a table, but they are very different from each other.

The benefit of writing a user story even when you already have a requested implementation in hand is that it creates an opportunity to ask "is this the best/simplest implementation that will get the job done?" and "what is the value of doing this, anyway? and who gets that value?"

Does that make sense?

Suggested Topics