Definition of Ready (DoR)

• What strategies have you used for coaching the PO and Development team, on how to arrive at successfully demonstrated definition of ready (DoR) for user stories when grooming the backlog?

I will be promoting the idea and coaching the team as I go, from a state of not slicing, over estimating, and taking huge spikes into each sprint, to a state of understanding what ready is, and if it does not meet the definition of ready, then it does not go in, or must be further groomed/sliced.

• The "INVEST" mnemonic stands for a set of criteria that I have always found to be very reliable. It was introduced by Bill Wake in one of his articles. It almost always ensures that a product backlog item is refined and ready to be moved into a sprint(Once it is estimated). Though these are desired characteristics of a PBI rather than prerequisites for their inclusion in the sprint backlog, they can be treated as the latter for our purpose. It stands for the following.

• “I” ndependent (of all others)
    • “N” egotiable (not a specific contract for features)
    • “V” aluable (or vertical)
    • “E” stimable (to a good approximation)
    • “S” mall (so as to fit within an iteration)
    • “T” estable (in principle, even if there isn’t a test for it yet)

I picked up the highlighted text from here as it gives a fairly good idea at a glance. Wikipedia also gives a good explanation. Better and more detailed explanations are available and I would suggest you read those if you'd like to get more insight.

Apart from this, the team could add more criteria if it helps them. Ultimately, I would say it's up to the team to decide, just like the DoD.

Suggested Topics