How should a Scrum master handle disagreements about story-point estimates in Scrum?

• For example : Some see its userstory (e.g. 2 points) and others see technical complications and judge that the story should be 20 points. The 2-point voters say, "I understand your opinion, but don't think those complications are valid." The 20-point voters say, "The past tells us that these things are always a lot more complicated then they seem." Now the team is in deadlock condition. can you someone put some light on this. how to handle this suitation.

• With that much variation in the estimate, it seems like the work as it's currently defined is not ready for estimation yet. Based on that wide spread in estimates, I would say that the team doesn't have a clear understanding of what is required to complete the work. Unless the work was critical and must be started and get to done as quickly as possible, I would recommend spending more time refining the work, whether that's in the portion of the team's capacity allocated to backlog refinement or planned and timeboxed in the form of a Spike.

I would expect quite a bit to come out of this additional refinement. I'd look for may include a short list of the tasks or steps needed to get the work to done and a quantification of the risks (including technical debt). Once this is done, I'd bring the work back to the team for further discussion and see if they begin to converge.

Suggested Topics