How can I make sure that the development team understand the importance of the Scrum ceremonies?

• I heard a comment the other day from a team in our organization

As soon as release pressure increase the scrum ceremonies gets neglected

I thought to maybe have a chat with scrum master and have a session with our organization around this subject because I think this might affect more than one team. I am not sure how to approach this meeting because I know all ceremonies are important

Scrum ceremonies are important elements of the agile software delivery process. They are not just meetings for the sake of having meetings. Rather, these scrum ceremonies provide the framework for teams to get work done in a structured manner, help to set expectations, empower the team to collaborate effectively, and ultimately drive results. If they’re not managed appropriately, however, they can overwhelm calendars and drown out the value they are intended to provide.

As of writing this I dont know what "neglected" means in the context of this team but I will still have a meeting. The point is, it’s not about whether or not they are doing these things perfectly but that they are doing them at all. Each of the ceremonies has a very particular reason for its existence and continued use, so we want to target those reasons, not stick to some unnecessarily rigid definition of what’s “right” or “wrong”.

Agility requires us to adapt to changing conditions, but it starts by adopting processes that make us more likely to do the right things at the right times.

Do you have any pointers when I talk to the teams?

• Long term success gets neglected for short term success.

A meeting like the retrospective takes time and nothing bad happens immediately if it is canceled. You need to make clear, that the Scrum ceremonies are in for the long run.

You don't do them, the team wont grow and might even collect things technical debt along the way by missing out on opportunities to better themselves. This mostly is due to the fact that communication in certain parts ceases to happen.

So point out that the time spent usually is gained back by a bigger factor, but it will take time and patience.

Suggested Topics