How can I calculate duration and price for the development of SW product?

• How can I calculate the duration and price for the development of the C# software? Does exist any pattern or tools for that? I think the duration of the project can be about the 6 months, for one developer (from my previous experiences).

• Scheduling software development is somewhat of an art.

Why?

Because you're scheduling the unknown. If something identical was already coded then why are you redoing it? If something is slightly different, then there's no way to know how long it will take.

Besides, developing SW is more more than simply coding in C# (in your case). As I wrote on my blog here, the list of non-coding includes things like design, integration, testing, debugging and of course rewriting as the requirements change.

However, experience helps you make a good guestimate.

How to get a good guestimate:

• Define in detail what the end product will look like
    • Define the components. E.g.: Front-end, graphics, database. etc.
    • Figure out how many people you will need. (Does your front-end programmer do databases? Do they do graphics? Do you need a graphic artist? Will you need Dev Ops to set up servers?
    • Talk to each of the people involved and get their estimates
    • Add in time for meetings, integration, testing, vacations, sick leave
    • Discover the team's availability; many programmers have to do maintenance work on previous projects and can't give you 100% of their time.
    • Add 10% buffer

Now you can use a scheduling tool like MSProject, or a spreadsheet like Excel or pen & paper & calculator to figure out how long it will take, how many people you want/need and what it will cost.

Voila!

Suggested Topics