MS project shows a PV of 0 for task with resources of type cost

• I am using MS Project to calculate the Earn Value of one task. let's call it Mech Installation. The task has a duration of 30 days (from 2/6/20 to 3/18/20). In the Resource Sheet I added 'Mechanical', of type Cost.

I have saved the baseline, set the status date to be 2/18/20, and finally Mech Installation has a percent complete equals to 25%. Here is where I am not sure what is happening: when I switch to Earn Value Table I get a Plan Value (PV) equal to 0, an Earn Value (EV) equal to $3,750, and a Schedule Variance has a value of -$750.00. This makes me think that MS Project is calculating a value for PV but it is not displaying it.

Why is PV equal 0? Should it not be equal to $4,500? More importantly, how can I display the right value of PV?

• This is a bug within MS Project. Cost resource types are not calculated in PV / BCWS values. Cost resources should be included in PV / BCWS values as you assumed. Unfortunately, there is no way to do this. You could alternatively use Fixed Costs to track your Cost resources. Not the ideal situation, but I know of no other way to get Cost resources to be included in PV / BCWS...

Suggested Topics