What can a Scrum Master do in a team that has mastered scrum?

• There's no doubt about Scrum being difficult to master. But if a team has been practicing it for quite a while and if the scope for streamlining the process or improvement is little to none, what role would a Scrum Master play in such a team?

The Scrum Master is always helping the team become more agile. If the team does become agile in its true sense is the scrum master advised to quit? Or take up some other role or designation? In short, can a Scrum Master's job be "Done"?

• I don't think there is a simple answer to this question. Instead, I think there are a number of different scenarios:

A team is very experienced in Scrum and rotates the Scrum Master role. They have no need for a full-time Scrum Master.

A team is very experienced in Scrum, but they still face impediments and they prefer not to be distracted, so they appreciate the Scrum Master facilitating the solutions.

A team is very experienced in Scrum, but the organisation they work in imposes a lot of external demands on their time (reporting, budgeting, etc.) and they feel the Scrum Master helps them with this so that they can remain focused on development.

A team is very experienced in Scrum, but the members of the team don't enjoy facilitating and so are happy to have a Scrum Master that performs this activity.

So my answer to your question would be: it depends on the team, the domain, the organisation and the Scrum Master. I think there are a number of possible outcomes, including:

• The team has no need for a full-time Scrum Master
    • The team makes use of a part-time Scrum Master
    • The team still wants a full-time Scrum Master

Suggested Topics