Can sprint backlog change while sprint is running?

• We work on offshore-onsite model and have two scrum masters. Debate started between both SM's with swapping item in the sprint when the sprint is running. Our product owner identified a new critical item and was ready to remove equivalent item from active sprint.

But, we have another problem, if we look at the guide which says "No changes are made that would affect the Sprint Goal" .. We don't have a explicit called out sprint goal as we work on multiple features. For e.g. our next sprint backlog may look something like StoryX, StoryY, StoryZ, StoryXX etc which are all independent and has no relation and can be completed within a sprint by developer. Just to put an example:

Story 1 : Block users from using wildcard in Patient Search .

Story 2 : Implement pagination for User Search .

Story 3 : (Tech. Story) .Net Framework upgdate from 3.5 to latest.

Now my first question is, what should be my sprint goal in this case? I assume the corresponding work associated cannot be changed. Is that right? Is my complete sprint backlog my sprint goal?

My last question, which SM is right? Can we change the sprint goal or not?

• This seems to be a good discussion about the usefulness of the Sprint Goal. Let's see... why do you need the Sprint goal in the first place?

First, the Sprint goal is meant to provide a roadmap, to the Development team and the PO. It helps to provide guidance as to why the team is building the increment, helps set priorities and offers flexibility when the team realizes that they have no time for implementing a feature. So, if the goal is specific e.g., "Create user registration", then it can be accomplished, even when the scope changes, and "Restore password" is removed from the sprint. Because the goal also supports the Product Owner in creating the product roadmap, it's really useful to work with specific sprint goals.

The Sprint Goal lays the ground for teamwork; it explains why team members need to work together as one instead of pursuing separate initiatives. (From Six Reasons Why You Need to Pay More Attention to the Sprint Goal)

In your case there is no specific sprint goal, so you seem to rely on the negotiation between the Product Owner and the Development Team. Remember, the sprint backlog is owned by the Development Team.

What's important to realize is if and why you need spring goals. There's no good or bad decision making but finding what works best for you.

Suggested Topics