Burn Down Chart : What is the definition of work done in Scrum

• I am running a Scrum Project. I am using JIRA as well as TFS as my Agile Work tracking tools.

In JIRA I created an 8-point story. The story was completed on the 8th day in a 10 workday Sprint. Sub-tasks to this story were closed on daily basis which included designing, development, testing, review, UX Review along with other items of the story.

When I check my Sprint Burndown Chart, it showed me that work was actually completed on the 8th day. The problem with this is that work being closed on a daily basis is not shown on the burn down chart and gives an impression that we will not be achieving sprint goal.

In TFS though, the Burndown chart shows the burning down of the remaining effort in Scrum Methodology and similar to JIRA in Agile methodology.

Can someone throw an insight on how work is defined? Is it sub-tasks or is it closure of stories or any other thing?

Daily Work Closure - Closing Sub Tasks

Closure of eight pointer story on Eighth day

• What is the definition of work done in Scrum

Work that satisfies the Definition of Done, which is defined by the Team.

The problem with this is that work being closed on a daily basis is not shown on the Burndown chart

This is the correct behaviour. From Scrum's perspective, an incomplete story provides zero value, so the burndown shows zero progress.

gives an impression that we will not be achieving sprint goal.

That's not what the burndown is for. The burndown is primarily a tool for tracking velocity, which is only useful for future Sprints. Furthermore, even if your burndown did track worthless effort, it still wouldn't be an appropriate tool for determining your likelihood of meeting your Sprint Goal. Unless your Sprint Goal is 'complete all the stories in the Sprint', which is a pretty poor Goal.

Can someone throw an insight on how work is defined?

It depends what you're using that tracked work for. The Burndown, specifically, is used for tracking velocity, which means it's only concerned with work that meets the Definition of Done.

Suggested Topics