Is there a difference between agile project and agile product evolution?

• My company is standardizing how agile initiatives will be run organization wide. It is a

I understand that a common high level understanding of how an initiative is run is important (go/no-go, reddition, vocabulary, gouvernance...)

The discussion led to 2 phases of an agile initiative:

• agile project: either the first iteration of a brand new solution leading to an MVP, or a timeboxed mission to achieve a specific scope/goal

• agile product evolution: considering an existing solution, a timeboxed phase where iterative evolution is made on the solution with no specific scope

It would mean that in order to start a new product, an agile project would be done and then followed by agile product evolution phases. Here and then, additional agile projects could be done on the existing product.

Do you consider agile project and agile product evolution two different things?

• agile project: either the first iteration of a brand new solution leading to an MVP, or a timeboxed mission to achieve a specific scope/goal

I am struggling to see why this is necessary and why the Agile product evolution approach you mention cannot be used instead.

A brand new solution can be developed using an iterative evolution. You may decide to not release at the end of each iteration for marketing/business reasons, but that doesn't stop you from iterating in exactly the same way as you would with an already existing product.

As for a time boxed mission to achieve a specific scope/goal, what is the logic behind that? Putting a time box around a scope/goal suggests that you have somehow managed to work out how long this will take to complete, which suggests waterfall thinking.

As one of the guiding values of Agile is to responding to change over following a plan, it is difficult to see why these projects would be described as Agile. What seems to be implied is that new product development will be done in a waterfall fashion and that only product enhancement will be done using an iterative Agile approach.

Suggested Topics