How to split stories depending on APIs?

• Let's take the below user story as an example to understand the whole scenario better:

As a user, I should be able to contact a dealer to test-drive a car.

The scope of the story is that the user should be able to submit a test-drive request to a registered dealer. This can be done simply by filling a form which internally calls a REST API.

Now here are my questions:

1. Should I try splitting this story at all?
    2. Should I create a separate story for creating a REST API? As the creation of REST API follows the I.N.V.E.S.T. guideline. To me, it appears as a complete vertical slice.
    3. After splitting, how should the rest of the story look? Does it look independent?
    4. Would it make any difference if API is managed by the same or different team?

• Should I try splitting this story at all?

If it follows Estimable, Small, and Testable, no. If it doesn't, maybe.

Should I create a separate story for creating a REST API? [...] it appears as a complete vertical slice.

I disagree. Consider the I and the V. Each story must independently provide value. Say you make your API and do nothing else. You then give it to the user... I would expect most users' response to be "What the heck am I supposed to do with this?".

After splitting [...] Does it look independent?

No.

Would it make any difference if API is managed by the same or different team?

Yes, but also keep in mind that Teams should be cross-functional. A Team should be able to complete any story in its entirety. If this is not possible, a (sub-optimal) solution is to split while invalidating INVEST, true. Another solution is to restructure/grow Teams to become cross-functional.

Suggested Topics